Saturday, December 17, 2011

What to do when your best friend wants to use your baby names?

I have been planning baby names, a few boys and a few girls names for when me and my husband of 6 yrs have baby number 2 and my friend has had a short 'courtship' and is getting married soon and thinking up baby names and a as for girl names there are no similarities but boy names she has my choices whether it be used as a first or middle name. I am frustrated cuz i have had these names for a while and love them. How do i stear her away from my names without getting rude?|||Well, neither of you is likely to have more than one child at a time. If you have "a few" names that you like, and she likes the same ones, just choose a different one of your favorites if she chooses one. In other words, don't do anything about it.|||It sucks, but nobody owns names and so there is nothing you can do about it. Coming up with baby names is very hard for me - I seem to find a problem with every name. When I got pregnant, I picked out a boy's name which I'm sooo in love with still. I then found out I was having a girl, and it took forever to decide on a name. I felt blessed that I had initially chosen a boy's name, because then, if I were told the gender wrong, I would have a name ready, while if it was the other way around, I would only have a name for one gender picked out.


I was so excited that I had a boy's name ready for future, and that if I were to get pregnant again, I'd only have to worry about finding another girl's name. Guess what a very close family named their son who was born soon after?|||It's a name. Just suggest something "more cute" than yours.|||The fact that you are 'dibsing' names is rather, well, 'juvenile' in my opinion.


There is no guarantee that you will BOTH have boys, if she uses a name you have mentioned really liking- why not be flattered that she thinks your taste is so good? If there is one you absolutely have our heart set on (although if you have a list it's not that likely!) you can ask her to pretty please NOT use that name, very few people will take offence to a request like that and honour it.





Also there is a MUCH smaller array of boys names that won't result in the child being teased, everyone tends to stick to the conventional popular names. So even if you DIDN'T share names lists, there is a good chance she could have chosen your dream names anyway!





If she is a good friend she will not use a name she knows you have your heart set on without ASKING you first, if I hadn't had my heart set on a particular girls name I would have asked my sister in laws permission to 'steal' her dream girls name! Mind I would have been extra careful about it as I inadvertently picked her top boys name for my son after my husband shot down MY dream boys name! Then again when I picked it I had NOT been told her 'dream' names.

No comments:

Post a Comment